INSPIRE 1-Day Summer School on Speech Intelligibility Modelling
April 10th, 2013, Kenwood Hall Hotel, Sheffield, UK
The goal of the INSPIRE Summer School is to provide an opportunity for young speech and hearing researchers to learn about the current state of the art and emerging trends in speech intelligibility modelling. The day will also provide an opportunity for researchers to gain practical experience while working together in teams and to form new contacts in this multidisciplinary area. The event is being supported by the INSPIRE Marie Curie ITN (www.inspire-itn.eu) and places are limited to 24 researchers. A selection process will be employed to make sure the opportunity is open to those who are most likely to benefit.
The Summer School is a one day event. All tea, coffee and lunch breaks are inclusive.
Registration Cost: Free
Accommodation at Kenwood Hall (if required): 62 GBP (bed and breakfast)
8 hours of tutorials and practical exercises using MATLAB intelligibility model implementations. Topics to include,
- Motivations and intelligibility model applications
- Auditory representations and classical models
- Model limitations and future challenges
- Recent modelling developments
- From `macroscopic' to `microscopic' intelligibility modelling
- Intelligibility estimates from statistical speech models
The content is designed to be accessible to any PhD student or researcher working in the field: prior MATLAB programming experience is not essential.
*Confirmed teachers and tutors*
* Jon Barker (University of Sheffield, UK)
* Martin Cooke (University of the Basque Country, Spain)
* Torsten Dau (Danish Technical University, Denmark)
* Søren Jørgensen (Danish Technical University, Denmark)
* Ewen MacDonald (Danish Technical University, Denmark)
*Application and registration*
Applications (deadline: Feb 25th ) must include the following documents in pdf format,
* Curriculum vitae (max 1 page)
* Short description of research interest and motivation to participate (max 1 page)
Places are limited to 24 students. Selected applicants will be notified of acceptance on March 4th.
Applications should be emailed to j.barker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - please use the subject, INSPIRE SUMMER SCHOOL