I am trying to build up a collection of musical examples from around the world in which timbre plays a role at rhythmic, metric and hypermetric levels of musical structuring. If you have any ideas, recordings or demos (words, scores, recordings, references) in which the following phenomena are clealry apparent, I would be delighted to hear about and receive them.
- the effect of timbre-based stream segregation on rhythm perception
- the role of timbral saliency in the perception of rhythmic accents and possible differences among cultures
- timbral accentuation and meter perception
- timbral contrasts and the induction of hypermeter
- the relation between timbral heterogeneity and rhythmic complexity.
I am most interested in examples drawn from real music. My plan is to create a website with these examples, which interested colleagues could use for pedagogical and research purposes. All contributions will be appropriately acknowledged.
With best wishes,
Schulich School of Music