Two scientific collaborators

Dear list,
I submit to you attention this job offer from PTB.
All the best,
Laura

Laura Rossi Ph.D.

INRiM - National Institute of Metrological Research
Department of Thermodynamics
Laboratory of Acoustics (Building L)
Strada delle Cacce 91
10135 Torino (Italy)
e-mail: laura.rossi@xxxxxxxx
web: www.inrim.it
Tel. +39-011-3919625

The Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt (PTB) is the National Metrology Institute of the Federal Republic of Germany with scientific and technical service tasks. It furthers progress and reliability in metrology for society, the economy and science.

For our "Acoustics and Dynamics" Department in Braunschweig we are looking for two scientific collaborators
to join us as of 1 June 2013 for the realization of a research project in the field of acoustics. Both posts are limited to three years. The remuneration will be paid in accordance with remuneration group 13 TVöD Bund. It is possible to obtain a doctoral degree.

Within the scope of an EMRP project (European Metrology Research Programme), a metrological infrastructure is to be established at several European institutes to allow acoustic powers between 50 Hz and 10 kHz to be traceably measured.
In this context, the following tasks are to be dealt with:

Investigations of the realization of the unit of airborne sound power

• Development, set-up and testing of a primary sound power standard in free and diffuse sound fields
• Numerical calculation of the emitted sound power and the field quantities
• Determination of the uncertainty of the emitted sound power

Investigation of the dissemination of the unit of airborne sound power

• Checking existing reference sound sources for their suitability as broadband transfer standard for the quantity "sound power"
• Development, set-up and testing of tonal transfer standards
• Determination of the uncertainty for the dissemination of the unit "watt"

Requirements:

• Completed university studies (Master or German "Diplom") of electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, physics or a similar subject, preferably focussed on acoustics
• A good knowledge of numerical acoustics and acoustic metrology
• A good command of English

For further information, please contact
Prof. Dr. W. Scholl, phone: +49 (0)531 592-1700, e-mail: werner.scholl@xxxxxx or, for technical questions, Dr. V. Wittstock, phone: +49 (0)531 592-1549, e-mail: volker.wittstock@xxxxxx.

PTB promotes the professional equality of women and men and is thus especially interested in applications from women.

Within the scope of the official feasibilities, PTB offers flexible part-time work schemes in order to support in particular the compatibility of family and profession. For further information, see our flyer "Familienfreundliche PTB" (Compatibility of family and profession at PTB) at www.ptb.de/cms/Jobsausbildung.html.

Disabled persons will be given priority if they have the same occupational aptitude.

PTB intends to consider suitable candidates from this selection process also for other vacancies with comparable requirement profiles. If you disapprove of this for your application, please indicate this disapproval explicitly in your written application.

Are you interested? Then we are looking forward to hearing from you. Please send your detailed application as hardcopy to the address below by 02 April 2013, quoting reference number 17/13-EMRP

Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt, Personalreferat, Bundesallee 100, 38116 Braunschweig, Germany

ON-line application form: