"Neutral Unit" for tone sequences

Hello,

I am pursuing an undergraduate Honors thesis in the Speech, Language and
Hearing Sciences department at my university. For our project, we will
present to our subjects tone sequences with varying rhythmicity and then
present to them tone sequences with changes in pitch. One goal that we
have is to have our subjects reproduce these sequences with a “neutral
unit” that removes (as much as possible) the influence of speech and
phoneme articulation.  We are considering something like the schwa, or
an 'eh' sound.  I would appreciate suggestions or ideas regarding what
neutral units might be appropriate to use for our task to get around
the “speech unit” issue.

Thank you for your help!
Emma Duffy