Re: [AUDITORY] Note durations in music

On 14 Jun 2013, at 15:03, Justin London wrote:
> I have been working with a colleague, Wei Kunlin at Peking University, on the distribution of note durations in classical music, and we have been trying to use MIDI data available on the web as a source.

Being a classical pianist (and recording engineer) I'm curious if MIDI piano data includes pedal use in the note durations. After all with acoustical pianos the note duration is linked to the damper movement, which is controlled by both the key and right pedal. The upper 1.5 octaves don't have dampers at all, so I'm a bit sceptical about the use of (performer's) MIDI data for this purpose.

Example:
http://www.everynote.com/goods.pic/Cho_Son3_4.gif

Kind regards,
Kees de Visser