[AUDITORY] MIDI Drum Pads: Delay and temporal resolution

Dear Auditory List,

I am currently looking at purchasing a MIDI Drum Pad for experimental research involving finger tapping. There appears to be very little information regarding how much of a time delay there is between the pads being tapped and the sound being produced (via external MIDI devices or the drum pad’s internal sequencer).

I’m looking to have the smallest time delay possible (sub-millisecond would be ideal). Does anyone have any advice about the best device to use and what kinds of time delays I should expect from the device? Their unit of pulses per quarter note does not appear to be very informative.

Kind regards,

Dr. Benjamin G. Schultz

Post-doctoral Fellow

Sequence Production Lab

McGill University

Stewart Biology Building

1205 Dr. Penfield Ave., Montreal H3A 1B1

Montreal, Quebec H3A 1B1

Tel.: 514-398-5270

Fax: 514-398-4896

Email: benjamin.schultz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx