[AUDITORY] Open PhD position

The cluster of excellence Hearing4all: Models, Technology and Solutions for Diagnostics, Restoration and Support of Hearing at the Medizinische Hochschule Hannover (in collaboration with the Carl von Ossietzky UniversitÃt Oldenburg and the Leibniz UniversitÃt Hannover) is seeking to fill a

PhD position in the field of auditory psychophysiology

in the Department of Neurology at the Hannover Medical School.

The position is available from 1 November 2013 for 2 years, with prospect for continuation. Payment depends on previous experience (German TV-L E13, 50% or a stipend (monthly rate of 1468 â)).

Research topic:

Cochlear implants (CI) can partly restore hearing in individuals suffering from profound hearing loss. However, there is a high degree of variability in speech performance outcomes across CI users. In this project we aim to better understand the pre- and postoperative factors affecting the individual outcome with a CI. In particular, we examine cortical plasticity following sensory deprivation and cochlear implantation. We use EEG (electroencephalography), NIRS (near-infrared spectroscopy) and combined EEG-fMRI (functional magnetic resonance imaging) measurements to assess cortical reorganization in adults and children using a cochlear implant.

Requirements:

The ideal candidate is required to have an academic university degree (Master or equivalent) in cognitive neuroscience, psychology, or medical engineering, or a related field. We are seeking candidates with hands-on experience in EEG, NIRS or fMRI. Matlab skills and knowledge of EEG analysis software suites (e.g., EEGLAB, Fieldtrip, BESA) is an advantage. Good English speaking and writing skills are essential. High motivation, efficient self-organization and being a team player are prerequisites.

The Hannover Medical School offers an attractive clinical and scientific environment, and access to state-of-the-art human neuroimaging facilities. Furthermore, the Hannover Medical School is an equal-opportunity employer that seeks to increase the proportion of women in science. Therefore, we especially encourage female candidates to apply. Handicapped applicants will be given preference if equally qualified.

Your application should include a letter, emphasizing your specific interest, qualifications and motivation to apply for the specific position, a detailed CV, contact details of at least two referees, an electronic copy of your master thesis and an academic transcript of BSc and MSc education. Please submit your complete application to:

Prof. Dr. Pascale Sandmann

Department of Neurology

Hannover Medical School

Carl-Neuberg-StraÃe 1

D-30625 Hannover

Germany

Tel: ++49-(0)511-532 7293

Email: Sandmann.Pascale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Feel free to contact Pascale Sandmann for further questions regarding the position. The application deadline is September 22, 2013.