Re: [AUDITORY] How to speak to people about hearing loss and more

On 14 Oct 2013 at 15:04, Kevin Austin wrote:

> The new [sic] generation is in the middle of this "plague of silence".
> Implants?
> what do they sound like?
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpKKYBkJ9Hw
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00WOao4kpwM
> There may be examples of 128 and 256 channel
> reconstruction somewhere out there. Consider that 256
> channels only yields about 1/3 semitone bandwidth,
> probably ok for speech and autotuned music.
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvHmrShrmaM

My understanding (which may be a few years out of date) is
that cochlear implants rarely get more than 8 or so useful
channels in actual patients, no matter how many channels
there are on the prosthesis itself.  Partly this has to do
with insertion and positioning issues, but mostly it's due
to the fact that the closer the electrodes are spaced, the
closer they have to be to their targets in order to be
separately resolved... and you just can't get all that

Best regards,

Bob Masta
            D A Q A R T A
Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis
Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, Signal Generator
    Science with your sound card!