Re: Reference for typical SNRs is public spaces

I agree with Bill except for one (crucial) assumption: in a cocktail-party situation the noise is not stationary (although, as Jont Allen once suggested, adding talkers to the babble will make it approach stationarity). So, the 0.5 dB SNR is workable in a broad statistical sense and would have to be adjusted almost on a case-by-case basis.

-Pierre

From: "Richard F. Lyon" <dicklyon@xxxxxxx>
Date: Friday, January 24, 2014 at 10:16 PM
To: <AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [AUDITORY] Reference for typical SNRs is public spaces

I think Bill's point, which I agree with, is that the SNR is not determined by the noise in the space as much as it is by people trying to communicate.  The SNR that he estimates is not "in the space", but rather "at the ears of the listener" when the talker is trying to communicate to that particular listener, above the noise.  Other people trying to communicate to different listeners make noise for this one.  The SNR is therefore roughly constant, somewhere near 0 dB, almost anywhere that's not too quiet.

For me, it's a little higher, after I make people speak up.

Dick