Re: Apps, apps, apps...

Counting the current number of auditory-related apps on iOS vs. Android
would be difficult.  I can only imagine the number of search queries that
could be used to search through the hundreds of apps related to simple
hearing screenings, sound level awareness, auditory training, Made for
iPhone hearing aid controllers
(http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/01/15/better-hearing-through-bluetooth/?
_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0), and listening games in general.  Also, the
developer is criteria that should be used to determine the number of valid
auditory-related applications.  Developers range from hearing aid
manufacturers vested in the field of audiology to average Joes putzing
around just for fun.  One platform may have more distinguished developers
which would influence your decision.

As an audiologist who spends a significant amount of free time on her iPhone
and iPad doing audiology and non-audiology related tasks, I enjoy iOS.  I
admit I have not dabbled in Android, but I haven't needed to.  I enjoy iOS
because developers tend to release on iOS first, then Android second.  There
are many apps I have enjoyed that my Android friends have waited months for.
Additionally, I have many iOS applications that are related to the auditory
system.  I won't list specifics here on the listserv, but I'm happy to send
offline.

This Time article makes a direct comparison between iOS and Android
(http://techland.time.com/2013/04/16/ios-vs-android/).  It's slightly dated
from April 2013 and would not be updated to reflect the release of the
iPhone 5S, 5C, and iPad Air this fall.  Reading this article may still help
you make your decision though as it illustrates quantitative data.

Good luck with your new and exciting adventures!

Tina Penman
penman.t@xxxxxxxxx
Audiologist
Portland, Oregon

*** DISCLAIMER ***
Opinions my own.  They do not reflect the opinions of my employer or other
affiliated groups.  I have no financial interest in iOS and no financial
disinterest in Android.  I'm just speaking from the heart.