Re: perceptual audio codecs

On 12 April 2014 17:25, James Johnston <audioskeptic@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have to ask: Is this OFFICIAL source code the best known encoder?

For AMR-WB+, I'd say in 2004 it certainly was.  You'd have to ask Roch
Lefebvre if a better version of that codec exists nowadays.  Back
then, we tried our best to win the standard, of course.

For enhanced aacPlus, my guess is that the perceptual model was
tweaked with computational complexity as a major constraint, but of
course they wanted to win the standard just as badly!  (and in the
end, as can be seen it was a draw - 3GPP added both as optional
standard codecs, effectively a loss for both)

Cheers,
Joachim
--
Joachim Thiemann :: http://jthiem.bitbucket.org ::