Re: Wrod Ilntilitgelibiy wtih Pnoheme Cufisonon

Dear Dviad,

I don't have a precise reference for you but it might be interesting for you to look through the publications of Valerie Hazan.  Some of her work has investigated the perceptual consequences of switching out initial consonants.  In considering vowel categories it may also be interesting to check out the article below and the recent book, 'Vowel inherent spectral change' (Eds Morrison & Assman).

You've probably heard it before, but be careful - studies in vowel perception are not for the feint-hearted.

All the best
Dvaid

Thyer NJ; Hickson LM; Dodd BJ (2000) The Perceptual Magnet Effect in Australian English Vowels. Perception & Psychophysics61 (1).

David Morris

Postdoc

Department of Nordic Studies and Linguistics

University of Copenhagen

Njalsgade 120

2300 København S

http://inss.ku.dk/ansatte/beskrivelse/?id=398661