*cochlea*: inner ear models in Python

Hi all,

we would like to announce *cochlea* -- a collection of inner ear
models in Python.  It was developed in the group of Werner Hemmert [1]
at the Technische Universität München.  After a few years of
development, we decided that it is stable and would like to contribute
it to the auditory community.

The main features of the package are:

  - simple to use (each model is implemented as a single Python
    function: sound in, spikes out)
  - fast (you can generate responses of hundreds or even thousands of
    nerve fibers)
  - all models have the same interface (easy to make comparisons and
    pick the one that best suits your needs)
  - up-to-date (recent models included)

Currently implemented models are:

  - Zilany, M. S., Bruce, I. C., & Carney, L. H. (2014). Updated
    parameters and expanded simulation options for a model of the
    auditory periphery. The Journal of the Acoustical Society of
    America, 135(1), 283-286.
  - Zilany, M. S., Bruce, I. C., Nelson, P. C., & Carney,
    L. H. (2009). A phenomenological model of the synapse between the
    inner hair cell and auditory nerve: long-term adaptation with
    power-law dynamics. The Journal of the Acoustical Society of
    America, 126(5), 2390-2412.
  - Holmberg, M. (2007). Speech Encoding in the Human Auditory
    Periphery: Modeling and Quantitative Assessment by Means of
    Automatic Speech Recognition. PhD thesis, Technical University
    Darmstadt.
  - MATLAB Auditory Periphery by Meddis et al. (external model, not
    implemented in the package, but easily accessible through
    matlab_wrapper).

We are really grateful to the authors of those models for allowing us
to use their code it in *cochlea*.  We release the package under the
GNU General Public License, so that you are free to copy, use and
modify the code.  We also encourage you to contribute back your
changes.

The code is distributed on GitHub [2] and the package/documentation
are hosted on the Python Package Index [3].  Check also our demo [4]!

If you would like to give a feedback, have questions or found some
problem, do not hesitate to email me or open an issue on GitHub [2].

Thank you and best regards
Marek Rudnicki

[1] http://www.imetum.tum.de/research/bai/home/?L=1
[2] https://github.com/mrkrd/cochlea