Re: Book needed: Ranke 1931

Thanks! this is much better, and I even now understand what he is saying ;-)

Jont Allen

On 08/18/2014 04:46 AM, Jan Schnupp wrote:
Dear List,

google translate is always fun, but in case you are puzzling what a
"most used cooking neglect" might be, or what "gross simplifications
in purchasing" has to do with the cochlea, here a proper translation
posted by Dick:

In developing the potential flow, the mass of the diaphragm and its
super-structures have been neglected. But almost all investigators
take the membrane mass as a starting point, or believe its influence
on the vibrations in the cochlea to be substantive enough that it
should not be neglected. So I have to explicitly demonstrate that it
is permissible to neglect the membrane mass for all those cases in
which waves in the cochlea play an important role. Admittedly, very
detailed studies should not overlook the mass of the membrane.
However, in a first instance we are dealing with rough approximations.
As a consequence, and in contrast with previous investigators, the aim
is to demonstrate that, in a first approximation, neglecting the
membrane mass is of less importance than neglecting the mass of the
entrained liquid, as was done by Koch.
Sondhi (JASA 1978?) has carefuly looked at this question, and the BM mass is quite important around the CF.

In the case of a potential flow in narrow channels, for which the
potential flow has been developed above, the mass of the membrane
cannot be easily introduced, unless one is prepared to accept coarse
simplifications. However, through the study of simple cases which can
be solved rigorously one gains a judgement for the situations in which
the mass of the membrane becomes non-negligible. We will therefore
restrict ourselves to the simplest case, which is easiest to solve
mathematically.

Best,

Jan