Re: auditory stochastic resonance demos?

Hi Dan,

We have found a stochastic resonance-like effect in MSO neurons and models.

The effect differs from the classical amplitude-based effect.  These neurons and models are slope or ramp-detectors.  Noise can enable them to respond to slopes that too slow for them to notice in the absence of noise.   We call the phenomenon:  slope-based stochastic resonance.

So far we don't have a behavioral demonstration.

Gai Y, Doiron B, Kotak V, Rinzel J: Noise-gated encoding of slow inputs by auditory
brainstem neurons with a low-threshold K+ current. J Neurophysiol, 102: 3447-3460, 2009.
PMC2804414

Gai Y, Doiron B, Kotak V, Rinzel J: Slope-based stochastic resonance: How noise enables
phasic neurons to encode slow signals. PLoS Comput Biology 6(6): e1000825, 2010.
PMC2891698

Best, John