[AUDITORY] Job: Senior Research Fellow in Hearing and Communication Behaviour

Dear all,

We have an immediate opening for someone to be an important part of our exciting research. Please pass this notice on to anyone you think might be interested.

Thanks,

Graham Naylor

Senior Research Fellow (Fixed-term to 2022)

https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/jobs/currentvacancies/ref/MED096918

Closing Date    Monday, 4th June 2018

Department    Clinical Neuroscience

Salary    £38833 to £43685 per annum (pro-rata if applicable) depending on skills and experience

Applications are invited for the above post based in Glasgow at the MRC/CSO Institute of Hearing Research (Scottish Section). This group is a satellite of the University of Nottingham’s School of Medicine, and is a thriving centre of research into how people use their hearing, how hearing impairment affects them, and how new technologies might help. Our core funding is provided by the UK Medical Research Council (MRC) and the Chief Scientist Office of the Scottish Government (CSO), but we have also attracted funding from a range of other sources.

The successful candidate’s primary responsibility will be to lead aspects of our programme concerned with understanding auditory behaviour in challenging conditions (noise or hearing impairment) by means of laboratory experiments utilising measurement of behavioural dynamics. We possess two sound-deadened rooms equipped with motion and eye-tracking apparatus, coupled with real-time dynamic control of the soundfield.

Within the overall objectives of our group, the postholder will be encouraged to mould this part of our research programme according to their own experience and vision, including expanding it through appropriate new funding bids.

Other duties will include management of junior research staff and allocated resources, contribution to the group’s administrative functions, academic and non-academic dissemination, cultivation of research collaborations, pursuit of research funding, and supervision of student projects.

Candidates must have a PhD or equivalent in a relevant discipline, along with significant postdoctoral experience involving human behaviour-tracking methodologies and/or multiple sensory modalities, and skills in technical computing and hardware/software interfacing.

Additional desirable criteria include research experience in sensory impairment and/or sensory prosthetics, evidence of a growing international reputation, and a track record of gaining significant financial support.

The post holder will be encouraged to advance their teaching qualifications and experience through opportunities available in Glasgow and Nottingham.

This post is available immediately and will be offered on a fixed-term contract until 31 March 2022. The post is full-time (36.25 hours per week), however applications are also welcome from candidates wishing to work part-time (minimum 18 hours per week to be agreed).

The University of Nottingham is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.

Informal enquiries may be addressed to Dr. Graham Naylor tel: +44 (0)141 201 8750 or email: graham.naylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

For further details, and to apply, visit https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/jobs/currentvacancies/ref/MED096918

Dr Graham Naylor

Section Director

Medical Research Council/Chief Scientist Office Institute of Hearing Research – Scottish Section

Glasgow, UK

Email: graham.naylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

attachment.

where permitted by law.