From: AUDITORY - Research in Auditory Perception [mailto:AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Massimo Grassi
Sent: Wednesday, June 6, 2018 2:10 AM
To: AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] Re: Registered reports

All active links contained in this email were disabled.  Please verify the identity of the sender, and confirm the authenticity of all links contained within the message prior to copying and pasting the address to a Web browser.

----

First of all I would like to thank Tim for the initiative.

A few replies and comments:
- registered reports have the results section divided in the parts: the "planned analysis" (those you discussed with editor and reviewers) and the "new exploratory analysis". Therefore, I do not see the problem risen by Les.

- in my opinion registered reports rise the standard level of current science. Registered reports (like a preregistration but even better) reveal how limited is our ability to predict. It is difficult to predict how the data will look like, what data point will be an outlier, whether data should be analysed in this or that way. We teach to students that the path of science is hypothetical deductive. In reality we move more like a carpenter trying to adapt and adjust things in real time.

- about the possible "uncontrolled dissemination of null results", I think that (for science) the current uncontrolled dissemination of type I errors is worse.

A nice day to everybody from a summer-sunny Italy,

CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED