Re: [AUDITORY] Registered reports

Peter--

I think you have benefited the discussion by focusing on the "confirmatory" vs. "exploratory" CONTINUUM.  Thank you!  I agree with these two (among others) of your statements:

1) I think that the debate about registered reports deteriorates too easily into an all-or-nothing argument.
2) What we need is honesty about where our research falls on this continuum.

Despite your recognition of a continuum, your reply references a dichotomous view, given your reference to Tukey.  Consider this definition of "confirmatory research" from http://www.butlerscientifics.com/single-post/2014/10/08/Exploratory-vs-Confirmatory-Research:

Confirmatory research (a.k.a. hypothesis testing) is where researchers have a pretty good idea of what's going on. That is, researcher has a theory (or several theories), and the objective is to find out if the theory is supported by the facts.

While the notion of a continuum is helpful, I would argue that only a very narrow set of studies are ever merely "confirmatory."  The problem lies with the identification of "hypothesis testing" with "confirmatory."  As I see it, it is a false equivalence and is naive.  In many cases a study that seeks to test a hypothesis or hypotheses falls on your proposed continuum such that a registered reports (RR) would be undesirable for many of the reasons I identified in previous responses.  As I see it, the set of studies that might be appropriate for RRs are those that offer a virtually unequivocal, binary set of potential outcomes.  Those, in my view, are few and far between and are, more often than not, relatively uninteresting.  So, if people wish to use RRs for such studies, then fine.  For the remainder-- most of scientific output-- RRs hold little value and could, in my view, serve to stifle progress.

Les