[AUDITORY] Looking for an alternative to etymotic ER 1 in-ear headphones for EEG testing

Dear list,

I am looking for an alternative to the Etymotic in ear headphones (ER 1) because they are currently out of stock (and we have to buy for our department new headphones by the end of the year).

As I am no expert in sound processing or the technical specifications it is quite hard for me to compare different models.

The reason for our interest in the etymotic ER 1 was because they should reproduce the same frequency response for speech as would be produced in a real live situation.

Furthermore we want in-ear headphones for our EEG studies because  we want to avoid the issue with the pressure of over-ear headphones on lateral electrodes.

We used speakers before but we now plan to conduct experiments where we need to control for lateralization (mono-/binaural presentation).

I am aware that also the etymotic speakers are not electrically shielded, so it would be even better if there exist a model that includes that as well.

Has anybody ideas or experiences with alternative in-ear headphones for EEG research (on human speech)?

Thank you very much!

---

Annika Carina Ziereis

Georg-Elias-Müller Institute for Psychology

- Affective Neuroscience and Psychophysiology -

University Göttingen

Goßlerstr. 14

37073 Göttingen

Phone +49 551 39 20623