[AUDITORY] Lab manager position at QMUL Linguistics

The QMUL Department of Linguistics is looking to appoint a full time, permanent Technical Manager for the Linguistics labs, to provide colleagues with technical support within our experimental laboratories, including the Phonetics Lab, Language Acquisition Lab, and behavioural testing spaces.

Deadline: 24 January 2021

You will be responsible for providing expert technical support to colleagues in Linguistics and acting as technical manager of the Phonetics, Language Acquisition, and Experimental Linguistics laboratories. You will be expected to oversee the day to day set-up, maintenance and smooth running of the laboratories, including the maintenance and ordering of the software, equipment, and chemicals used in experimental linguistics, and to participate in logistical developments and resource planning. You will also contribute to laboratory related teaching and research, for instance by giving technical advice on the use of complex equipment and software, providing expert technical training, supporting programming for experimental protocols, and advising on research design and analysis.

About You
You will have an Degree or equivalent professional qualifications, with experience in working with laboratory equipment, apparatus and software used in phonetics and experimental linguistics (e.g. EEG, ultrasound, eye-tracking), or related fields (incl. sound engineering, recording and digital signal processing, acoustics). You will have the ability to provide technical advice and guidance, together with the ability to coordinate and plan experiments. Good organisational and communication skills, and the ability to work constructively and flexibly with colleagues are also essential.

About the School
Further information about the School and the Department of Linguistics can be found at www.qmul.ac.uk/sllf.

About Queen Mary
At Queen Mary University of London, we believe that a diversity of ideas helps us achieve the previously unthinkable.
Throughout our history, we’ve fostered social justice and improved lives through academic excellence.
We continue to embrace diversity of thought and opinion in everything we do, in the belief that when views collide, disciplines interact, and perspectives intersect, truly original thought takes form.

Benefits
We offer competitive salaries, access to a generous pension scheme, 30 days’ leave per annum, a season ticket loan scheme and access to a comprehensive range of personal and professional development opportunities. In addition, we offer a range of work life balance and family friendly, inclusive employment policies, flexible working arrangements, and campus facilities including an on-site nursery at the Mile End campus.

The post is a full time, permanent appointment expected to start as soon as possible or by 1 June 2021. The starting salary will be Grade 5, in the range of £38,084- £40,194 per annum, inclusive of London Allowance.

Queen Mary’s commitment to our diverse and inclusive community is embedded in our appointments processes. Reasonable adjustments will be made at each stage of the recruitment process for any candidate with a disability. We are open to considering applications from candidates wishing to work flexibly.

Informal enquiries should be addressed to Dr Kathleen McCarthy k.mccarthy@xxxxxxxxxx or Professor Hagit Borer at h.borer@xxxxxxxxxx.
The closing date for applications is 24 January 2021

---
Kathleen McCarthy
Lecturer in Linguistics | SLLF Impact Lead
Director of QMUL Language Acquisition Lab
Department of Linguistics | Queen Mary University of London
t: +44 (0)20 7882 7557