Re: [AUDITORY] Virtual reality equipment

Dear Mila,

to echo what Stefania wrote, we also use the HTC Vive pro eye, which allows us also to measure pupil dilation (this can be interesting for certain types of tests). We use Oculus Rifts, and will start using the Oculus Quest soon. We do not use the headphones that come with the head-mounted displays, but we remove them and use the Sennheiser HD600/650 (with a decent amplifier, such as RME, MOTU or Focusrite, not the standard computer audio out). We also have a project which uses iPhones with the head-mounted cases - they actually work rather well, and you can "pair" them with Bluetooth controllers in order to allow the user to easily interact with the tasks.

In terms of software, we do most of the graphics in Unity, using Blender if needed for the 3D models. For the iPhone option we use Unity as well, or C#/Swift when possible/suitable.

Please forgive me if now I make a bit of adversiting nos: for the audio spatialisation we use our own 3D Tune-In Toolkit, which is available here - https://github.com/3DTune-In/3dti_AudioToolkit/. We normally use it in its "Test Application" version (standalone), connected with Unity through Open Sound Control (OSC).

An example of the functionalities of the Test Application can be found in this video (use headphones when listening):

and here is a video demonstrating the hearing loss/hearing aid functions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtEL__hwmq0

But you could also use it in its VST plugin form, and run it on MaxMSP or other VST hosts. Here you can download all the 3DTI Toolkit releases (Test App, VST, _javascript_, etc.)

https://github.com/3DTune-In/3dti_AudioToolkit/releases

We also have a Unity wrapper for the Toolkit, which allows to use it straight within the Unity environment as an asset. We'll launch v2.0 of the wrapper in the next two-three weeks, but if you need anything earlier I'll be happy to share the older version.

I hope this helps

Lorenzo

--
Dr Lorenzo Picinali