[AUDITORY] The Six Year Anniversary of monotoSTEREO.info!

Greetings friends!

January 29, 2021 marks six years since my website, monotoSTEREO.info, first went live! I am pleased to report that in that time the website has been visited over 44,500 times by individuals in 167 countries! I had several goals when I started the website. First, I wanted it to provide a collection of resources for those individuals interested in upmixing mono source material to stereo through the use of spectral editing and sound (audio) source separation... more specifically: music source separation. For many years the goal of upmixing mono to something virtually indistinguishable from “true stereo” was considered to be an impossibility. I had also hoped to inspire some researchers and developers so that they would continue developing and improving the software tools which make this possible. Without the support of these talented researchers and developers, the tools would cease to be available. I had also hoped to gather links to the many research papers and presentations in the field for those wishing to delve deeper into the science behind this technology.

A big thank you to the researchers and developers of the software tools which allow audio engineers to make the impossible possible. Your hard work is most appreciated!

A sincere thank you to all who have visited the website over these past six years! I am very thankful for your continued interest and support!

Although there are many more tools available today for this task and they have become much more capable, considerable time, effort, patience, and perseverance is still needed to upmix most mono recordings to stereo. I must take this opportunity to acknowledge and thank the international group of engineers who have harnessed this technology over these past six years and have provided literally hundreds of amazing examples highlighting what is possible through the use of this technology!

Please be sure to check out the many examples on the MEDIA pages of the website:

Commercial releases making use of this technology are listed here:

There are now links to over 1,600 research papers, presentations, etc. on the RESEARCH pages of the website!

There are now a total of 89 tools highlighted on the TOOLS pages! Their pages are available from the pull-down menus on each page!

Conferences, conventions, presentations, and related events are listed on the CONFERENCES page. Please let me know if I am missing any events!

I have gathered together links to many interesting and informative audio and music related websites. I’m sure that you’ll find something useful on these three pages:

A companion Facebook page for the website provides updates and related content. Be sure to “Like” the Facebook page to follow it for the updates!

You may also follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/mono_to_STEREO

It is my sincere hope that all of you take the time to visit the website and that you find the website useful, informative, interesting, and inspiring! The coming years will bring many more new and improved tools for harnessing this technology. The best is yet to come! Please stay safe and healthy!

Best regards,
Christopher Kissel,
Owner & Webmaster of monotoSTEREO.info