Van: AUDITORY - Research in Auditory Perception <AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> namens Hugo Solís <hugosoli@xxxxxxxxx>
Verzonden: Sunday, March 7, 2021 2:55:01 PM
Aan: AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Onderwerp: How is the signal of a cochlear implant? [Sound art Project in honor to my deaf sister]

Hi everybody,

My names is Hugo and I am a sound artist with some background in
computer science. I have a sister that was born fully deaf and she got a
cochlear implant when she was 40 years old. She is now 48. The cochlear
changed too little in my sister's live and she doesn't describe music as
a pleasant experience.

I want to create a piece of art where hearing people could hear the real
signal that the cochlear implant sends to the brain. I know that the
signal is processed and that pulses are generated on each one of the
electrodes. However I do not nothing about the details of the
transformation.

I am capable of write code in Python (ussing the Essentia Library
(https://essentia.upf.edu/) in order the emulate the transformation to a
signal but I don´t know what is the typical process. I could also write
the code in SuperCollider (https://supercollider.github.io/) but
although it has tons of unit generators it does not have as many
extractors of audio descriptors and common phsyacoustic process as Python.

I am not an audiologist and I have a lack of the signal processing
transformation that happens in a cochlear implant. I do know a lot about
digital signal processing though.

So I need some basics:

1. Code or libraries in any programming code but ideally in Python that
does the emulation. I could write the process but I imagine that many
people has already done this and that there is opensource code already
written.

2. Basic reference about the process that happens in the cochlear device
that could help me to either write the code or tuning the opensource
code in order to make my piece. The work will be shown in a exhibition
and I am running out of time. So any help would be more than appreciate it.

I will be forever thankfull with your support.

Warm regards

Hugo Solís