[AUDITORY] Cochlear Implant post-doc job in Cambridge, UK

Dear all,

I’m delighted to announce the following position based in our lab and part of the Cambridge Hearing Group.

I’ll be happy to answer any informal queries you may have

Best wishes

Bob

Research Associate (Fixed Term)

We wish to appoint a post-doctoral Research Associate to a three-year position awarded by the Royal National Institute for Deaf People (RNID) to Dr. Bob Carlyon, Dr. Manohar Bance, Dr. Debi Vickers, and Dr. Francois Guerit. The project investigates the neural basis for the substantial changes in loudness and in speech perception that occur in the months after a patient's cochlear implant (CI) is first switched on. It involves behavioural and EEG measurements of the brain's response to direct electrical stimulation of the cochlea at various time points, as the listener's auditory system acclimatises to a new way of hearing. This is an exciting opportunity to study and potentially improve hearing by CI users and to gain fundamental insights into the plasticity of the auditory system.

The successful applicant will be based at the MRC Cognition and Brain Sciences Unit, which houses state-of-the-art facilities and a thriving auditory research and neuroscientific community. They will also interact with other members of the Cambridge Hearing Group, which includes auditory researchers from a wide range of disciplines throughout the University. The role involves liaising with staff at Addenbrookes hospital and with patients, and so the post-holder will need excellent interpersonal skills. The successful applicant will have (or be about to obtain) a Ph.D. in a relevant field, good programming skills, and expertise in auditory research, preferably involving CIs.

Due to the level of skills and experience required for this post we anticipate a starting salary of between £32,816 - £34,804. The starting date for this role is ideally the 1st October 2021 however this can be flexible.

Fixed-term: The funds for this post are available for 3 years in the first instance.

Once an offer of employment has been accepted, the successful candidate will be required to undergo a standard Disclosure and Barring Service check. This appointment also requires a Research Passport application.

Click the 'Apply' button below to register an account with our recruitment system (if you have not already) and apply online.

Closing Date: 2nd May 2021, with the interviews expected to take place on 24th May 2021.

Please ensure that you upload a covering letter and CV in the Upload section of the online application. The covering letter should outline how you match the criteria for the post and why you are applying for this role. If you upload any additional documents which have not been requested, we will not be able to consider these as part of your application.

Please include details of your referees, including email address and phone number, one of which must be your most recent line manager.

Please quote reference SU26224 on your application and in any correspondence about this vacancy.

The University actively supports equality, diversity and inclusion and encourages applications from all sections of society.

The University has a responsibility to ensure that all employees are eligible to live and work in the UK.

Further information

Dr. Bob Carlyon

Deputy Director

MRC Cognition & Brain Sciences Unit