[AUDITORY] Responses to "listening to your tinnitus"

Hello, I received several responses to my post on "listening to your tinnitus" in which I described a method I had found that seemed to alleviate my tinnitus.  Unfortunately, all of the posts described methods in which an acoustic signal is present to the ear with frequencies that match (or mask) the tinnitus, which is different from what I was talking about.

The method I was describing involved actually focusing on the tinnitus, not an auditory stimulus.  I can hear out some of the individual tones in my tinnitus, and I find when I do this the tinnitus seems to lessen in severity.

So, does anyone know of any work that that been done in this area?

Thanks,
Brian Gygi