[AUDITORY] PhD position available at WS Audiology and University of Southern Denmark

Dear colleagues,

We have an open PhD position at WSA Audiology and SDU in Denmark. See below.

Best regards,

Filip Rønne

We are currently looking for a candidate to work on an industrial PhD project at our HQ in Lynge, titled “Breaking the sound quality barrier: Improved user outcomes with low-delay hearing aids.”

Sound quality is a critical component for hearing-aid satisfaction and uptake. One factor influencing the sound quality of amplified sound is the processing delay of digital hearing aids. This processing delay causes audible effects when the amplified sound is mixed with the unprocessed (directly transmitted) sound, which makes the problem particularly prominent when the hearing aids are fitted using open eartips.

The effects of signal-processing delay in hearing aids have been studied. Previous research has mainly focused on the upper end of the delay range, i.e., investigating how long the delay can be to still produce acceptable sound quality. Although there are some indications that very short delays (less than 1 ms) can provide important user benefits, systematic research into this lower end of the delay range has not been carried out so far.

In The Proposed 3-year PhD Project, a State-of-the Art Hearing Aid With Adjustable Delays Will Be Used To Gain Detailed Insights Into

·       The relationship between short hearing-aid delay and perceived sound quality

·       Candidacy criteria for low-delay hearing aids, and

·       User acceptance of low-delay hearing aids.

The project is a collaboration between the University of Southern Denmark (Syddansk Universitet, SDU, www.sdu.dk), Odense, Denmark, and the hearing-aid manufacturer WS Audiology (WSA, www.wsa.com), Lynge, Denmark. It is funded by the Innovation Foundation Denmark and WSA. We envisage that the PhD candidate will distribute their time approximately equally between SDU and WSA in terms of physical workplace.

About You
We welcome applications from candidates with a master degree in audiology, hearing sciences, acoustic engineering or a related discipline. We are looking for a person with a strong drive, good social skills and the ability to work both independently and as part of a team, in both academic and industrial environments. It will be beneficial if you have previous experience with hearing-aid fitting and working with Matlab (or a similar programming language). Preferably, you are fluent in both Danish and English, both verbally and in writing.

Application
Please submit your application as soon as possible but latest November 7th. If you require further information about this position, please contact Filip Marchman Rønne, Global head of Scientific Audiology, +45 22549885.

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/search/?currentJobId=2756019072&keywords=widex&originalSubdomain=dk