[AUDITORY] Postdoctoral Researcher Fellow in Deep Learning for Medical Imaging in Cardiff

Dear all,

We seek to appoint a postdoctoral research fellow for the NIHR funded project. Please find the details below. Or alternatively visit university website or search it from jobs.ac.uk. The successful candidate will be based at Llandaf Campus but there is flexibility with the location to work remotely.

If you have any query or need more information, please contact fzhao@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Job Title: Postdoctoral Researcher Fellow in Deep Learning for Medical Imaging

School/Unit: Cardiff School of Sport & Health Sciences/Centre for Speech and Language Therapy and Hearing Science

Location: Llandaff Campus, Cardiff

Salary: Grade 7, £40,322 per annum

Hours: 37 hours per week

Tenure: 12 months Fixed term

Welsh University of the Year 2021 by The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide

Our performance in this year’s Guide is exceptional.  Our University was the biggest riser in Wales, and the third biggest in the UK, placing us in the UK top 40 for student satisfaction with teaching quality and the wider student experience.

We are very pleased that our strong performance has resulted in the University attracting high numbers of well qualified students and we are now seeking additional staff in both our academic schools and professional services departments.

The opportunity

Cardiff School of Sport and Health Sciences is a recognised centre of excellence in the UK and has established a national and international reputation for the quality of its academic and research work in the areas of sport and health sciences. Based across the Cyncoed and Llandaff campuses, we provide a broad range of vocationally focused academic programmes and pride ourselves on good student feedback and excellent graduate employability. Many of our programmes are professionally accredited to meet the requirements of the sport and healthcare professions and we engage closely with industry to provide consultancy services and professional development programmes. Our School also delivers a thriving research culture, with over 100 PhD students across a variety of disciplines. The wellbeing of our staff, students and our local community underpins everything we do as we continue to add value through our teaching, innovation and research.

As a Senior research fellow, you will play an important role to contribute to developing the deep learning tools and AI interface software in co-ordination with data collected in the clinical trials. This will involve; novel model development using advanced deep learning methods, followed by AI interface software development. The post holder will be also participate in the IP application and knowledge transfer with industrial partners, co-ordination of data collection, data analysis, manuscript preparation, and dissemination of the findings of the project.

You will be an enthusiastic and friendly professional with excellent communication and interpersonal skills coupled with a commitment to providing an excellent student experience.

What you’ll do – key duties

  • To undertake development and verification of novel AI models for accurate and reliable automatic diagnosis;
  • To develop an effective and friendly graphical user interface (GUI) for the AI interface as a support tool using Python or other software programs
  • To set up and run planned experiments, ensuring that the experiments are appropriately supervised and supported
  • To collect, record, analyse the data and write up results of experiments in a timely fashion
  • To be knowledgeable of the scientific literature relating to the project and to monitor new developments in the field of study
  • To prepare and present work at research seminars and other departmental meetings as required.
  • To prepare progress reports on the research from time to time as required by the funder for review purposes
  • To contribute to the drafting and submission of papers to appropriate peer reviewed journals

What you’ll bring – essential experience & strengths

  • Experience in machine learning/deep learning, medical image and/or signal processing
  • Evidence of completed research project.

What you’ll have - essential qualifications

PhD (or close to completion) in Computer Science or a closely related discipline (e.g. Computer Engineering)

Our total reward package

We have a range of great benefits for employees including:

Annual leave of 35 days, plus 12 bank holiday / concessionary days (pro rata if part time)

Membership of the Local Government Pension Scheme with generous contributions

Flexible and remote working opportunities

Award winning sports and fitness facilities with subsidised membership, plus subsidised physiotherapy/complementary therapy/sports massage

Access to all library facilities

Salary sacrifice schemes including cycle to work

How to apply

If you would like to talk with us about this opportunity please contact Dr Fei Zhao, at fzhao@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

To start your application please visit www.cardiffmet.ac.uk/jobs

Closing date: Friday 3rd December 2021 at 4:30 pm.

Should a high volume of applications be received, we may need to close this vacancy early. We therefore encourage you to apply as early as possible.

We are committed to supporting and promoting equality and diversity and to creating an inclusive working environment. Our Strategic Plan underpins our commitment to recruit and retain the best talent and we welcome applications from people from diverse backgrounds. We appoint on merit.

Due to the coronavirus pandemic all of our recruitment is being conducted virtually. We aim to respond to your application as soon as possible.

Further Information

Full Job Description and Person Specification

Our Candidate Pack

Please visit our website for information about working for us, our culture, benefits, work-life balance and our career progression and development opportunities.