Re: Sound Level Meters ("Ward R. Drennan" )

Subject: Re: Sound Level Meters
From:    "Ward R. Drennan"  <drennan@xxxxxxxx>
Date:    Sat, 2 Aug 2008 10:05:04 -0700

Check Larson Davis (LD) sound level meters, Type 1. If they meet your need for filters, they are MUCH less expensive than B and K. LD meets ANSI standards. Type 1 has standard calibrator. On Sat, 2 Aug 2008, R. Mercuri wrote: > I need to perform some sound level readings at an industrial facility and am > looking for a good logging octave-band recorder. I'd appreciate > recommendations. > > The equipment must be capable of handling the following bands 20-75, 75-150, > 150-300, 300-600, 600-1200, 1200-2400, 2400-4800, and 4800 and above. The > equipment must ALSO be compliant with the ANSI standards for Sound Level Meter > Sl4-1971 and for Octave Band Filter Sets SL11-1966, R1971. I realize these > standards are out of date, but those are the ones I have to be sure the > equipment complies with, so if anyone knows how those earlier standards relate > to ANSI Type 1, 2 etc. it would be greatly appreciated. > > Also, recommendations for companies in the USA who rent such equipment would be > greatly appreciated (as in, if you had a particularly GOOD or BAD experience > with a certain company, this would be helpful to know). > > A final question is with regard to calibration of the equipment -- are they > self-calibrating, or is there a calibration test-set that one can purchase to > ensure the equipment is in spec. > > Thanks in advance for any information that folks can provide. > > Rebecca Mercuri, Ph.D. > notable@xxxxxxxx > Ward R. Drennan, Ph. D. VM Bloedel Hearing Research Center Department of Otolaryngology University of Washington Box 357923 Seattle, WA 98195 Office: (206) 897-1848 Fax: (206) 616-1828

This message came from the mail archive
maintained by:
DAn Ellis <>
Electrical Engineering Dept., Columbia University