From owner-auditory@VM1.MCGILL.CA  Wed Sep  1 16:58:28 1993
Date:         Wed, 1 Sep 1993 13:37:37 -0700
Sender: Research in auditory perception <AUDITORY@VM1.MCGILL.CA>
From: Paul Iverson <piverson@U.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject:      music psychology database
To: Multiple recipients of list AUDITORY <AUDITORY@VM1.MCGILL.CA>

Here is some information on a free database accessible over the internet
that some of you may find interesting. It allows you to search the
abstracts of 11,000 journal articles on psychology and music. I have no
affiliation with the group responsible for this, so you should write
mbic@mila.ps.uci.edu if you need more information.

Paul Iverson

LOGON INSTRUCTIONS

Dear Colleague:

We are now on-line with our new Music and The Brain Information Center
database!  We now have over 11,000 entries.  Thank you for being so patient.
Although there are still a few problems to be worked out, we encourage you
to log-on and to begin using the database right away.  We have done our best
to make the system as friendly as possible, but are aware that the
search process is still somewhat awkward, and are working toward
improving it.  We would appreciate any comments or suggestions you
may have.  Also, if you should come across any inaccuracies
in the spelling of a name, please try alternate spellings and let us know.

To logon from the internet, first type:    telnet mila.ps.uci.edu
Then, simply respond (in lowercase) to the prompts as follows:

login: mbi
password: nammbi

You will then be prompted for the type of terminal you are using:

TERM = (vt100)

Press the RETURN key.                 (The default terminal type is vt100)

Note:  Most systems use vt100 software.  If your system does not, and you
know your terminal type, replace (vt100) at the TERM = prompt with the
terminal emulator used by your system.  If you do not know your terminal
type, ask your local computer consultant.  Please let us know if you are having
problems.

To access the database from a dial-in modem, the correct phone
numbers are:

714-856-8960 for 9600 bps modems

714-856-5661 for 2400 and 1200 bps modems

Type mila.ps.uci.edu, and then respond to the prompts as above.
After logging in, you will next be prompted for your initials.  Although
this information is not required for you to log-on, at this early stage
it would be very helpful for us to know the usage of the database in order
for us to continue to receive financial support.  After providing this
information press RETURN. This will bring you to MBI's Main Menu.  To obtain
help, press option 4.  A copy of the help file has also been included with
this letter.

Please let us know if you have any trouble logging in.  Some systems
may not be entirely compatible with ours, and we will do our best to track
down any problems as soon as possible.

Thank you again for your patience, and please feel free to contact us
with any questions or suggestions!

We offer special thanks to our beta-testers!

--MBIC Coordinators

            HELP FILE - USING THE MBI DATABASE

1)      Select MBI Database (option 1) from the MBI Main Menu.

2)      You will then see the following:

 SWAIS                        Source Selection               Sources:  1
   #          Server                     Source                     Cost
001:   [                    ]  mbi                                  Free

<space> selects, w for keywords, arrows move, <return> searches, q quits, or ?

3)      Press the spacebar to select the MBI database.
        (An asterisk * will appear at the left side of the highlighted
        mbi source line, indicating that the mbi database is selected.)

4)      Type    w
        Keywords may now be entered:   Type an author's name, or few words
        which sum up your topic of interest and press return.  The search
        software seeks out documents which contain ANY of these keywords.

        If you wish to reduce the number of retrievals, boolean operators are
        available:

         -- The current software version (wais-8-b5) permits boolean
       'and' and 'not' operators. Words are evaluated from left to right
        in the keyword string.

        When an 'and' operator is found, any documents containing both
        the words following and preceeding the operator are retrieved.

        For example, MUSIC AND MATHEMATICS will elicit a search for
        only the documents which contain both the words 'music' and
        'mathematics.'

        When a 'not' operator is found, the system will retrieve any
        documents containing the word(s) typed before the operator which
        do not contain the word typed after the operator.

        For example, MUSIC AND MATHEMATICS NOT CHILDREN will elicit
        a search for only the documents which contain 'music' and
        'mathematics,' excluding those which also contain the word
        'children.'

         -- The current software version also permits literals. Typing a quote
        or double-quote around a string of words will elicit a
        search for documents which contain the exact words located within
        the quotes.

        For example, KEYBOARD AND 'MUSIC AND MATHEMATICS' NOT CHILDREN
        will elicit a search for the documents which contain the word
        'keyboard,' the string of words 'music and mathematics,' but not
        the word 'children.'

        -- Partial word searches are permitted by using the asterisk symbol
        '*.'

        All documents containing words which start with the letters
        preceeding the asterisk will be retrieved.  Keep in mind that
        sha* will match shall, sharp, share, as well as Shaw, Shamrock,
        Shankar, ....

5)      Once the search is complete, you will see your search results as a
        list of Search Results Titles.

        -- The current software version defaults to a maximum listing of
        40 retrievable documents.  This maximum value may be increased to
        150 as follows:

        i) type o for options

       ii) use the arrow keys to scroll down to #6: maxitems

      iii) following the instructions at the bottom of the screen,
           press the space bar to change the default value of 40

       iv) type 150 in response to the New Value: prompt, and
           press Return

        v) the new Option Setting for maxitems now appears as 150

       vi) return to searching by pressing s (for sources) or
           r (for results)

        -- For each Search Results returned matching document you will
        see:

 # Score Source Title Lines

        where # is a rank ordered sequential number

        Score is a scaled value from 1000 to 1, directly proportional
        to the "match" of that document with the keywords.  The higher the
        score, the better the match.

        Source is the wais-accessed database containing that document.

        Title is the name of that "matching" document.
        (Note: MBI database documents are named as follows:

        YEAR.AUTHOR.NUMBER

        where YEAR is the year of publication, AUTHOR is the first author's
        last name, and NUMBER is an identifying number unique to our MBI
        database.)

        Lines is the total number of lines in that document.

        -- The Search Results screen also shows the number of matching
        documents returned (Items: ) in the top right hand corner.

6)      Use the arrow keys to move up or down the list of titles.
        (If your arrow keys don't work, move down by typing j and
        move up by typing k.

7)      Press the return key when the entry you wish to see has been
        highlighted.  (The selected entry will then be printed on your
        screen.)

8)      If your entry is longer than one screen,

 --More--

        will be printed at the bottom of your screen.  Press the space
        bar to continue viewing the next screenful, or type q if you have
        seen enough of this long document.

9)      Then, as instructed, type any key to return to the Search Results
        list.

10)     ****Any document you select may be sent to any e-mail address:
        With the desired document highlighted on the Search Results screen,
        type m and then type the receiving e-mail address.****

11)     When viewing Search Results, press w to modify/replace keywords
        for a new search - or - press q to exit from the MBI database and
        return to the MBI Main Menu.

        Note: Brief instructions appear at the bottom of the various screens.
        Typing a ? at any time will give you a complete list of options.

        For further help, please e-mail mbic@mila.ps.uci.edu, call
        (714) 725-2628

                                --or--

        Write to:

        MBIC Coordinators
        c/o Dr. Norman Weinberger
        Center for the Neurobiology of Learning and Memory
        University of California, Irvine
        Irvine, CA 92717