Macintosh-based sound editing and analysis tools

My advisor, Benjamin Brinner, will be running a seminar this fall on
ethnomusicological transcription, and would like any suggestions this
group could offer for Macintosh-based tools to aid in musical
transcription.  We already know of the MacRecorder program, which
allows one to digitize sound, view and play soundfiles from disk, cut
and paste sound segments, and (if I remember correctly) generate
spectrograms that are too crude for use in musical analysis.  If you
know more about MacRecorder or any other program from firsthand
experience, we would appreciate any information you could offer.
Other desirable features would include pitch tracking (for monophonic
textures, of course), "tape-looping", finer-resolution spectrograms,
and the ability to attach time-indexed annotations to a sound file.

Thanks in advance,

Mark DeWitt
U.C. Berkeley
dewitt@garnet.berkeley.edu