Re: Auditory time to contact

Mike,

Larry Rosenblum has some interesting work on this subject.  These
others may be of help also.

-John Neuhoff

Lee, D. N., Vanderweel, F. R., Hitchcock, T., Matejowsky, E., &
Pettigrew, J. D. (1992). Common principle of guidance by echolocation
and vision. Journal of Comparitive Physiology A. Sensory, Neural, and
Behavioral Physiology, 171, 563-571.

Neuhoff, J. G., & McBeath, M. K. (1996). The Doppler illusion: The
influence of dynamic intensity change on perceived pitch. Journal of
Experimental Psychology: Human Perception and Performance, 22, 970-985.

Rosenblum, L. D., Carello, C., & Pastore, R. E. (1987). Relative
effectiveness of three stimulus variables for locating a moving sound
source. Perception, 16, 175-186.

Rosenblum, L. D., Wuestefeld, A. P., & Saldana, H. M. (1993). Auditory
looming perception: Influences on anticipatory judgments. Perception,
22(12), 1467-1482.

Schiff, W., & Oldak, R. (1990). Accuracy of judging time to arrival:
Effects of modality, trajectory, and gender. Journal of Experimental
Psychology Human Perception and Performance, 16(2), 303-316.

Shaw, B. K., McGowan, R. S., & Turvey, M. T. (1991). An acoustic
variable specifying time to contact. Ecological Psychology, 3, 253-261.

msgordon@citrus.ucr.edu wrote:
>         I am doing some research auditory time to contact judgements for
> subjects experiencing vection (dynamic visual stimuli intended to produce a
> feeling of motion). If any of you could point me to research in that area,
> or  auditory time to contact judgements without visual stimuli it would be
> very helpful.
>
> Thank You
>
> Mike Gordon
> University of California, Riverside
John Neuhoff                    Phone:  610-250-5287
Department of Psychology        FAX:    610-250-5349
Lafayette College               email:  neuhoffj@lafayette.edu
Easton, PA 18042
www.lafayette.edu/~neuhoffj/neuhoff.htm