Flangers

On Mon, 31 Aug 1998, Alain de Cheveigne' wrote:

> I'm not sure what is the processing within a "flanger".  Is it a kind of
> time-domain comb filtering (ie subtraction or addition of the signal to
> itelf after a delay)?

That's precisely what a flanger does.  If I remember the origin of the
term correctly, before multi tack tapes, engineers would double track
vocals by running two tape decks simultaneously and selectively put their
finger on the flange of the tape reel to slow down one of the tracks.

Email to AUDITORY should now be sent to AUDITORY@lists.mcgill.ca
LISTSERV commands should be sent to listserv@lists.mcgill.ca
Information is available on the WEB at http://www.mcgill.ca/cc/listserv