[no subject]

>From tothl Mon Aug 31 17:00:10 +0200 1998 remote from inf.u-szeged.hu
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 17:00:10 +0200 (MET DST)
From: Toth Laszlo <tothl@inf.u-szeged.hu>
To: auditory@lists.mcgill.ca
Subject: Re: low - high

On Mon, 31 Aug 1998, Robert Bolia wrote:

> I believe the correspondence between
> "high" pitch and high-frequency sounds is the same in Finnish as it is
> in the Indo-European languages (at least according to my
> Finnish-English dictionary; I am not a Finnish-speaker).  I have
> dictionaries for several other non-IE languages (Arabic, Chinese,
> Estonian), but they are either not very good or only go one way ...

I'm afraid a dictionary is not enough here. For example, my
English-Hungarian dictionary has at least 7 correspondences for the
English word "low". A different Hungarian adjective is necessary to
translate "low" in "low price", "low pulse", "low voice", etc.
(And apparently the opposite is true also). You should be aware of these
things if you're collecting examples for this.
By the way, isn't "in a low voice" in English means low in amplitude and not
in pitch?!?

(In case you feel - like me - that we're getting off-topic, reply in private
mail)

               Laszlo Toth
        Hungarian Academy of Sciences         *   "Military intelligence:
  Research Group on Artificial Intelligence   *    two words combined that
     e-mail: tothl@inf.u-szeged.hu            *    can't make sense"
     http://www.inf.u-szeged.hu/~tothl        *

Email to AUDITORY should now be sent to AUDITORY@lists.mcgill.ca
LISTSERV commands should be sent to listserv@lists.mcgill.ca