New book

Dear Colleagues,

At the risk of incurring the wrath of Ed Burns, I would like to inform you
of the publication of a new book that may be of some interest.  It is
called "Cochlear Hearing Loss".   The following is an extract from the
preface:

"In 1995 I published a book called "Perceptual Consequences of Cochlear
Damage" (Oxford University Press).  The book reviewed the perceptual
changes associated with cochlear hearing loss and related these to the
underlying physiological mechanisms.  The book was aimed primarily at
researchers in the field, and much of the material contained in it was
rather technical.  While the book was well reviewed, and I received
favourable comments from colleagues, it became clear that it was not ideal
as a textbook for students.
        This new book covers similar topics to "Perceptual Consequences of
Cochlear Damage", but some of the more technical material has been omitted,
and much more effort has been made to explain basic concepts.  I have
attempted to write at a level that is accessible and comprehensible to
students in Audiology and in Speech and Hearing Science.  I hope therefore,
that the book will be considered suitable as a textbook for such students."

In North America, the book is available from

Taylor and Francis, 1900 Frost Road, Suite 101, Bristol, PA 19007-1598
tel. 215-785-5800  Fax. 215 785 5800

In the rest of the world, the book is available from

Whurr Publishers Ltd., 19B Compton Terrace, London N1 2UN, UK.
Tel 0171 359 5979  Fax 0171 226 5290   email info@whurr.co.uk

The price in the UK is £24-50 (plus £2 postage and packing for orders
outside the UK).

I am not sure of the price in North America, but it should be comparable.

Brian C. J. Moore, Ph.D.
Professor of Auditory Perception,
Department of Experimental Psychology,
University of Cambridge,
Downing Street,
Cambridge CB2 3EB,
England
Tel. + 44 1223 333574
Fax. + 44 1223 333564

McGill is running a new version of LISTSERV (1.8d on Windows NT).
Information is available on the WEB at http://www.mcgill.ca/cc/listserv