Re: 'pressure at the ears' visiting an anechoic chamber

>> When visitors enter -for the first time- our (rather large) anechoic
>> chamber, they are always complaining about the strange 'pressure at
>> their ears'. Similar as listening to 'much out of phase' signals in

I'm pretty sure that the ear-popping is due to the pressure change as the
door is pulled shut.  The anechoic chambers I have been in have a door jamb
much like a tunnel.  You pull the door shut and the pressure in the room
increases.  I suspect our ears have very little experience with such
pressure changes in normal life.

- Malcolm

McGill is running a new version of LISTSERV (1.8d on Windows NT).
Information is available on the WEB at http://www.mcgill.ca/cc/listserv