Re: Cage & Anechoic Chambers

I was told this is related to the cutoff frequency of the anechoic
chamber. If the latter is around 70 Hz (i.e. lower frequencies are less
well absorbed) one gets this feeling of pressure, whereas if the latter
is very, very low (below 20 Hz, which is rarely to be found) the feeling
should be much more comfortable, more ressembling to that in the Alberta
badlands, prairies etc. The different experience in real envorinment
could be due to the fact that there is no echo at all, not even for the
very low frequencies, whereas in most anechoic chambers there is a
certain echo, only of a kind that is not typical for normal environment
(low-pass at 70 Hz). It could be that this low-pass echo is associated
with the experience of pressure.

- Christian Kaernbach

Email to AUDITORY should now be sent to AUDITORY@lists.mcgill.ca
LISTSERV commands should be sent to listserv@lists.mcgill.ca