loud sounds again

Dear List

Thanks for all replies to my request, for your interest attached below.

Armed with my B&K 2260 Investigator this intrepid explorer set out
to sample some of Manchester's sounds. To my surprise most venues
have been extremely helpful and willing for me to take measurements.
It seems that I can get into just about any place free of charge.
Damm good thing that I took some precautions though, as recommened.
For example, in one venue which had PA with a power rating of a mean
20,000 W(!), I measured on one occasion an  LAeq (equivalent continuous
level, A-weighting) of 111 dB. The peak of power was at 400 Hz (1/3 octave)
126 dB A weighting, fast response. (This would be about 130 dB on the C
weighting). At 111 dB OSHA gives the maximum allowable exposure per 8 hour
day at at 26 minutes. ISO recommend 3.25 minutes maximum allowable exposure
per 40 hour week!  The predominance of low frequencies, 500 Hz and less,
apparently the source of pleasure that loud dance music provides via
vibrotactile and other non-auditory sensations, is consistent with damage
to low frequency hearing (as well as high frequencies) that I have been
finding in a survey of undergraduate students who frequent dance clubs.
E.g. in 10 subjects I looked at so far I found the mean loss at 250 was
about 12 dB compared with 4 dB at 2 kHz.

Cheers

Neil

Dr Neil Todd
Lecturer in Psychology