Re: Stream segregation

David Temperley wrote:

>I'm looking around for computational models of musical stream segregation.
>Specifically, I'm looking for systems that can take the notes of a piece
>(as in a MIDI file, for example) and group them into contrapuntal lines.
>(So I'm interested in what Bregman calls "sequential integration" -- NOT
>simultaneous integration, i.e., grouping of partials into notes.) Does
>anyone know of any such models?

Note that there is a theoretical assumption embedded in
your question, namely that simultaneous integration
precedes sequential integration.  In order for "notes"
to exist as a perceptual/cognitive representation, we
must presuppose a processing step that accurately
extracts them from an acoustic signal.  The psychoacoustic
validity of a MIDI-like representation (one that depends
on "notes") is open to some question, in my opinion.

That said, I would also be interested to hear of such
computational models.

Best,

 -- Eric

|  Eric Scheirer  |A-7b5 D7b9|G-7 C7|Cb   C-7b5 F7#9|Bb  |B-7 E7|
|eds@media.mit.edu|      < http://sound.media.mit.edu/~eds >
|  617 253 0112   |A A/G# F#-7 F#-/E|Eb-7b5 D7b5|Db|C7b5 B7b5|Bb|