Re: speech analysis

Chalikia magdalene wrote:

>I am looking for some PC-based software that would provide an analysis of
>speech recordings, over a period of time.  Specifically, I am interested in the
>calculation of F0 values at specific time intervals, so that not only the F0
>contour can be determined, but specific F0 values as well.

Check out the 'Praat' editor (cf. http://www.fon.hum.uva.nl/praat/), by  Paul
Boersma and David Weenink at the Institute of Phonetic Sciences of the University
of Amsterdam, The Netherlands:

According to the authors:
The computer program Praat is a research, publication, and productivity tool for
phoneticians.
This comprehensive speech analysis, synthesis, and manipulation package includes
general numerical and statistical stuff, is built on a general-purpose GUI shell
for handling objects, and produces publication-quality graphics.

I have used it a little bit and found it extremely cleverly designed.
In particular it is batchable: I could lower the F0 of dozens of stimuli with a
simple script.
(Not only will you see F0: you will even be able to edit it and resynthesize
speech with PSOLA.)

Praat is available for several platforms (it works well on linux, for example). It
is a shareware, with a very reasonable price.

Christophe Pallier
http://www.ehess.fr/centres/lscp/persons/pallier/