Re: Radio Frequency Interference

Hi, Jennifer.

RF can be hard to track down.  The first thing I'd try is to make
sure you're using high quality interconnect cables for the components
of your system.  For example, the cable that connects your CD player
to your amplifier, or computer to your amplifier; make sure that
these are high quality cables with good RF shielding.  The next thing
I would do is get a pair of headphones with better RF shielding than
the Rains have.  I'd try the AKG 240D for starters (about $185).  See
if you can borrow a pair just to see if that's the problem.
Sometimes getting an isolated power supply line helps.  You can buy
an isolation transformer for about $70.

Dan
Daniel J. Levitin                                           Phone: (514) 398-8263
Assistant Professor                                   FAX:     (514) 398-4896
Department of Psychology

Mailing Address:
McGill University, Stewart Biology Building
1205 Ave. Dr. Penfield
Montreal, PQ    H3A 1B1
CANADA

email: levitin@ego.psych.mcgill.ca