Lower frequency limit for pitch perception

Below a certain frequency, periodic sounds are no longer perceived as having pitch; instead, they have a rough or pulsating quality (these are probably not the right words). But where exactly is this lower boundary for pitch perception, and on what signal qualities (besides frequency) does it depend? I'm guessing the threshold for simple tones is about 25 Hz, but maybe it's different for complex tones? In any case, it would be nice to know what the research literature has to say.

I've looked in a few standard reference books (Moore, Yost & Nielsen, Handel), and searched PsychINFO, but have had no luck -- possibly because I don't know the proper keyword.

Thanks for any help you can provide,
Paul von Hippel
Post-Doctoral Fellow
School of Music
Ohio State University
1866 College Road
Columbus, OH 43210
614 292-7321

von-hippel.1@ohio-state.edu
(You can also reach me by simply replying to this message.
All my mail is forwarded to the same final destination.)

http://music-cog.ohio-state.edu/~pvh