From: krwalter
Sent: Wednesday, December 13, 2000 11:28 AM
Subject: Job Opportunity

Dear. Dr. Polka

About a month ago I placed a job announcement on the Acoustical Society of America website.  The response to the ad has been unsatisfactory.  Searching the Directory of Graduate Education in Acoustics published by the ASA, you were identified as a contact at McGill University.   While the text of the ad can be viewed on the ASA website I have included it below:

       The Naval Submarine Medical Research Laboratory (NSMRL) is seeking individuals to conduct research on basic and applied topics in: auditory interfaces (spatialized displays); audio signal processing; test and evaluation of voice controlled devices; human system interfaces; and auditory performance.  Preferred candidates should have research experience in auditory science and a degree in either sensory or perceptual psychology(Ph.D. required), engineering (Masters degree required) or a related discipline.  Successful candidates will demonstrate strong quantitative skill; programming experience with C++ and Matlab is preferred but not required.  Current research programs and general information describing NSMRL can be viewed at www.nhrc.navy.mil/nsmrl.  The United States Navy is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.  Eligibility to obtain a security clearance and U.S. citizenship will be required.  Candidates are encouraged to send their resume, salary history, and references to krwalter@earthlink.net.

The requirement for U.S. citizenship is not hard and fast but obtaining a security clearance for a non-U.S. citizen can be complicated.  Level of complication depends on the country.  Bottom line is all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.

If you have any qualified students or know of other individuals who might be interested in this position I would appreciate your help.
Any suggestions can be directed to krwalter@earthlink.net.

Thank you for your assistance.

Dr. Robert Walter