Re: phoneme recognition and stimulus length

On Mon, 19 Mar 2001, Jont Allen wrote:

> I dont know if this is what you are getting at, but have you looked at the
> paper by Sadaoki Furui "On the role of spectral transitions for speech perception."
> JASA, Oct. 1986, page 1016+

It partly answers my questions, as they used truncated syllables as
stimuli. But I would be more interested in the other direction:
is there any additional gain in recognition performace if we use stimuli
LONGER than a syllable?
What made me wonder about this is the "backwards recognition masking"
experiments of Massaro (unfortunately, I don't have the original papers,
only a half-page review in a Ph.D. thesis by Brian Kingsbury). Their
results say that masking has no effect if the target is longer than a
syllable or if there is at least a syllable-long silent interval between
the target and the masker. I would
need a reinforcement of these results, but possibly from the opposite
direction (i.e. not how recognition deteriorates from backwards masking
but how recognition improves from "forward helping" - so to say).

               Laszlo Toth
        Hungarian Academy of Sciences         *
  Research Group on Artificial Intelligence   *   "Failure only begins
     e-mail: tothl@inf.u-szeged.hu            *    when you stop trying"
     http://www.inf.u-szeged.hu/~tothl        *