Re: Why the music is music and the noise is noise?

On 24 Apr 01, at 14:46, Tóth László wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Apr 2001, Bob Masta wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure exactly what is desired here, but if you use
> > a random sequence to select musical notes from the normal
> > 12-tone (piano) scale, it will sound absolutely dreadful.
> >
> What happens if the random sequence is not "white" but "pink"?
> Does that make any difference in the sound?

I'm speaking here of using a random generator to select individual
notes, so the random values are coming at a rather slow rate.
You don't really notice the spectrum of the generator as such,
and although there is a difference it is still the case that using
the sequence to select notes from a 12-tone scale still sounds
bad, and from a pentatoninc scale sounds pretty good.

If you don't want to download Daqarta to fool around with this,
you can do a fair approximation with a piano keyboard: Stick
to the black keys, and you can become an instant composer!

Robert Masta
tech@daqarta.com

         D A Q A R T A
Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis