grammar and music

Hi,
        If I understand correctly, one of the pieces of evidence supporting the
notion that humans have a musical grammar faculty is that we are able to
discriminate when an inappropriate note is played in place of a "correct"
note in a piece of music an observer may have never heard before.  And
apparently one can also record EEG correlates of this phenomenon.  Any
chance of finding the same thing in an animal?

Also, in England a few years back the BBC (or ITV or Channel4, I don't
remember) aired a series of shows on audition.  In one segment, they showed
an example of an observer's ability to detect a deviant note.  And I
believe they also showed the corresponding differences in brain activity.
Anybody remember that show and is there any way to get a copy?

Cheers,

Daniel J. Tollin, Ph.D.

University of Wisconsin-Madison FAX: (608)-265-5512
Department of Physiology                        Phone:(608)-265-5143
290 Medical Sciences Building           tollin@physiology.wisc.edu
1300 University Avenue                  http://www.physiology.wisc.edu/~tollin
Madison, WI 53706