Re: AP in all of us? New evidence from speech research

I just heard on the radio an interview with a Chinese writer who lived
through the Cultural Revolution. Her grandfather was fired from his job
because he was screaming at his cat "Out, cat!" Cat in some dialects is
"mao", but with a different tone than "Mao". Apparently, because the cat
upset him, he changed the tone by mistake and somebody reported him for
screaming "Out, Mao!".

So, I imagine that tone is VERY important in China if you want to survive.

Pierre