inhibition in cortical vs. subcortical neurons

Dear List,
I was wondering if any experts out there could point me to references that
discuss the relative strength of inhibition (or suppression) in cortical
versus subcortical neurons.  I'm interested in how inhibitory sidebands may
play a stronger role in creating a "band reject" region for cortical
neurons as compared to lower order auditory neurons.

The only comment I've found thus far was in Brosch and Schreiner (1997)
Time course of forward masking tuning curves in cat primary auditory
cortex. J Neurophys 77, p. 939.

Thanks,
Mark

Department of Neuroscience