Re: streams and groups

Dear Al and List,
   (I wrote this before I read your more recent post but I'm sending it
anyway.  A little redundancy can't hurt.)
   In the few times that I have given talks before an audience, a few
perplexed but polite people might applaud my presentation.  Since there are
so few, I am able easily to identify the individual streams of hand claps
from the sources scattered among the audience.
   As I understand the discussion here, each clap in a clapper's stream of
claps could be considered to be a group.  Or is it that each clapper's
stream of claps is a group?  In any case, further parsing of my applause
would reveal that every individual clap is itself composed of streams
and/or groups of smaller identifiable transient events.
   But when you, Al, finish a presentation, the audience explodes with an
ovation that is a flow of hundreds of homogenized hand-clap sources.  You
can no longer pick out the streams and groups.  The applause you get is a
single amorphous spatially distributed stream of noise.  What happened to
the groups?  And is it important to know this?

   John Bates
  Pleasantville, New York