Re: Annoyance of cell phone use in public spaces

Hi People,

Hannes Muesch wrote:

Dear List

I am afraid I am not the only one who is at times annoyed by having to
overhear mobile phone users ranting in public spaces. Strangely
enough, it
seems to me that overhearing a face-to-face conversation happens much
frequently and when it does it seems much less annoying. I wonder whether
there is a consensus that

There is another reason why overhearing people using mobile phones are more annoying than hearing face to face conversations, that nobody seems to have mentioned.  When overhearing a mobile phone conversation we can only hear one side, whereas eavesdropping on a face to face conversation generally gives us access to both.  Being naturally nosey creatures it is of course frustrating to only hear half the conversation.

Dr. Lowel P. M. O'Mard PhD.
CNBH, Hearing Research Laboratory, Dept. of Psychology,
University of Essex, Wivenhoe Park, Colchester CO4 3SQ, UK.