Perception of short duration sounds

        I am conducting some research of sports players' perceptions of the
equipement they use, specifically sports involving impacts between a ball
and an implement. Of particular interest is the players' perception of the
impact sound which is typically short in duration (< 50ms).
        Can anyone please offer me some advice, or point me in the direction of any
studies of the effect of sound duration on perceived pitch and loudness? I
have read papers where the centroid of a spectrum has been used as an
indicator of pitch, does anyone know of any other techniques for quantifying
the pitch of a complex sound?
        Finally, does anyone have MATLAB code that they are prepared to share for
calculating Zwicker loudness?
        Any advice would be much appreciated,

Jon Roberts

Wolfson School of Mechanical & Manufacturing Engineering,
Loughborough University,
LE11 3TU

Tel:    44 (0)1509 227679
Fax:    44 (0)1509 227648