Perception of short duration sounds

        I am conducting some research of sports players' perceptions of the
equipement they use, specifically sports involving impacts between a ball
and an implement. Of particular interest is the players' perception of the
impact sound which is typically short in duration (< 50ms).
        Can anyone please offer me some advice, or point me in the direction of any
studies of the effect of sound duration on perceived pitch and loudness? I
have read papers where the centroid of a spectrum has been used as an
indicator of pitch, does anyone know of any other techniques for quantifying
the pitch of a complex sound?
        Finally, does anyone have MATLAB code that they are prepared to share for
calculating Zwicker loudness?
        Any advice would be much appreciated,

Thanks,

Jon Roberts

Wolfson School of Mechanical & Manufacturing Engineering,
Loughborough University,
Loughborough,
Leicestershire,
LE11 3TU